When Olivia, co-founder of non-profit group Green Drinks contacted me about her new campaign she’s working on, SaferSkin, I knew I had to write about it. SaferSkin is a Singapore-wide online campaign to spread awareness about the ingredients in skincare and cosmetics, and to educate you on ingredients and help you make better choices.
And before anyone starts panicking, we know there are chemicals everywhere – you pretty much can’t escape it! But if you’re concerned about it in skincare and beauty products, I have some alternatives that Olivia and the SaferSkin campaign recommends.
1. dr. Alkaitis Holistic Skincare Facial Cleanser: Mama dearest tried this out for me… I am not sure if I can do a full on organic skincare regime… yet. Stay tuned! Mom said it smelled lovely and did it’s job: clean the face. If you have normal to dry skin, this is something to check out.
2. Intelligent Nutrients Certified Organic Leave-In Conditioner: This light brown, watery lotion contains every type of oil imaginable! On the ingredients list I see everything from Lavender oil, Red Grape Seed oil, to Pumpkin seed oil. The product applies easily and sinks into hair, not leaving any greasy reside. The smell is something else, though – think rustic spa heaven in the middle of the woods – very woody, very Earthy… very nice!
3. Tallulah Jane Natural Perfumes in Misae: So you all know I love citrus scents, and this is THE organic citrus scent. As they say, it’ “a breath of Spring on the Cote d’Azur.” The scent is made of citrus and white and green florals, finished off with “hints of wood and balsam”. I smell more of the wood, so it’s not really my taste, but it’s still very nice – and very strong, a little goes a long way. If you like smelling “Earthy”; this is it.
4. Max and Me Organic Body Oil Blend: Body oil is very new to me, but if you’re looking for something super moisturizing and something your skin will love, check out this line. There are many scents, which make it a great aromatherapy piece, too.
5. Ai-Funan Fragipani Natural handmade Soap: This beauty sits nicely on my soap dish in my bathroom, and what can I say? it smells amazing, I have no complaints. Great for every bathroom in the house, not to mention it would be a lovely gift.
6. Kahina 100% Organic Argan Oil: I wrote about my love for coconut oil and all its beauty benefits recently; and mentioned that argan is a big “competitor” but I hadn’t tried it yet. Well, now I have! I am using this on my hair right now, and I can see why it’s so loved. Reminds me of a less smelly version of coconut oil, and I can’t wait to find out more. If you’re an argan oil lover, Kahina’s is 100% organic and is from “Morocco – New York”.
7. Mukti Floral hydrating Mist Toner: Stick, hot and humid Singapore needed this product badly! Spray it on your face for a quick pick-me-up. It not only freshen the face, it also hydrates it (thanks to ingredients such as Rose oil and Grapeseed oil) and uplifts the sense with its light floral scent. (Use this up fast, though – I can see it getting bad – and smelly – very quickly.)
What do you think? Is using natural and organic products a priority for you? Are you concerned about the chemicals in everyday beauty products today?
Personally, over the years of running this beauty blog, I’ve slowly but surely educated myself on ingredients used in beauty. And because of that, I have quite a few organic and natural products I use in my life, and plan to continue to find more. Some of my personal, everyday favorites (that you’ve heard me talk a lot about!) include Lemongrass House body lotions, Avalon Organics Shampoo, Sukin Organics Botanical Body Wash (and Hydrating Body Lotion), Dabur Vatika Coconut Hair Oil and Aubrey Organics Silken Earth Translucent Base Powder… phew!
Let me know your thoughts on this issue. Also, if you have any natural and organic must-haves, please tell us too!
You Might Also Like: