I’m reposting one of my favorite beauty tips I learnt from my mom, just for a refresher; also I think it’ll be perfect for summer – enjoy!
You know the saying, ‘When life give you lemons, make lemonade‘? … Oh, please! When life give you lemons, make lemon juice and give yourself some highlights!
My friend and I used to do this sometimes in the summer, a tip given by my mom ages ago. Get freshly squeezed lemon juice, and put it in the areas you want your hair to be lighter. Lemon juice is a great natural bleach. My friend would use a wide tooth comb to comb in the lemon juice so that it would separate and would create pretty highlights.
For me, I wanted a lighter color all over so I poured the whole cup of lemon juice on my head. After that, sit out in the sun for a while (20 minutes should be enough) and afterward, wash and dry your hair and I promise you’ll have a very nice, natural looking color. A great tip for summer or for those who have their natural hair color and want to spice it up abit.
Has anyone tried this beauty tip themselves?
UPDATE: Wow, since this post I’ve gotten A LOT of questions, so here goes:
- Does the lemon juice damage your hair? Yes, but very minimal compared to bleach and hair dyes. Remember, lemon is a “natural” bleach, so there will be a little damage. Personally, it’s just made my hair a bit dry but after a few conditioning hair masks and it was fine. (I recommend coconut oil).
- Does the lemon juice make brown hair look brassy? If you do it too often, yes. I’ve done it up to 4 times and it was alright, but don’t do it more than 5 times, I’d say. Unless of course, you like the orange look!
- Can the lemon juice lighten blonde, red and black hair? Blonde – probably not, since your hair is so light already. Red, I don’t see why not! It probably won’t make a huge difference (since red is already quite light a hair color) but for a subtle effect, sure. And black, yes, it will help a little. You gotta do it many times before you can see a difference, but my friend tried it and it worked for her.
- Will the lemon juice lightened my hair permanently? Yes, the places that are lightened will probably not go back to it’s original color.
- Can you do this on colored hair? Nope, sorry! This only works on your natural hair color. UPDATE: A few of you have said that it can even lightening colored hair, so yay! Try it out and let me know.
If you have any other questions, let me know!