I’m reposting one of my favorite beauty tips I learnt from my mom, just for a refresher; also I think it’ll be perfect for summer – enjoy!
You know the saying, ‘When life give you lemons, make lemonade‘? … Oh, please! When life give you lemons, make lemon juice and give yourself some highlights!
My friend and I used to do this sometimes in the summer, a tip given by my mom ages ago. Get freshly squeezed lemon juice, and put it in the areas you want your hair to be lighter. Lemon juice is a great natural bleach. My friend would use a wide tooth comb to comb in the lemon juice so that it would separate and would create pretty highlights.
For me, I wanted a lighter color all over so I poured the whole cup of lemon juice on my head. After that, sit out in the sun for a while (20 minutes should be enough) and afterward, wash and dry your hair and I promise you’ll have a very nice, natural looking color. A great tip for summer or for those who have their natural hair color and want to spice it up abit.
Has anyone tried this beauty tip themselves?
UPDATE: Wow, since this post I’ve gotten A LOT of questions, so here goes:
- Does the lemon juice damage your hair? Yes, but very minimal compared to bleach and hair dyes. Remember, lemon is a “natural” bleach, so there will be a little damage. Personally, it’s just made my hair a bit dry but after a few conditioning hair masks and it was fine. (I recommend coconut oil).
- Does the lemon juice make brown hair look brassy? If you do it too often, yes. I’ve done it up to 4 times and it was alright, but don’t do it more than 5 times, I’d say. Unless of course, you like the orange look!
- Can the lemon juice lighten blonde, red and black hair? Blonde – probably not, since your hair is so light already. Red, I don’t see why not! It probably won’t make a huge difference (since red is already quite light a hair color) but for a subtle effect, sure. And black, yes, it will help a little. You gotta do it many times before you can see a difference, but my friend tried it and it worked for her.
- Will the lemon juice lightened my hair permanently? Yes, the places that are lightened will probably not go back to it’s original color.
- Can you do this on colored hair? Nope, sorry! This only works on your natural hair color. UPDATE: A few of you have said that it can even lightening colored hair, so yay! Try it out and let me know.
If you have any other questions, let me know!
You Might Also Like: