Vitamin C doesn’t only cure the common cold – other than the many healthy benefits of Vitamin C, did you know that it has many, many skincare benefits? Oh, let me count the ways…
First of all, it is an anti-oxidant. Anti-oxidant = good. Secondly, it can lighten superficial pigmentation like freckles and melasma. It can also suppress melasma production. It also stimulates collage production, making it a fantastic anti-aging product. It also prevents premature wrinkling and scaring. It also can get rid of the free radicals that can damage your skin. Overall, Vitamin C skincare products can help you repair and prep your skin everyday; improving sun damage on your skin, and throughly exfoliates and cleanses your skin. If you’d like it in a detailed list, Vitamin C has many, many benefits:
- It can lighten superficial pigmentation like freckles and melasma.
- It can also suppress melasma production.
- It stimulates collage production and a fantastic anti-aging product.
- Prevents premature wrinkling and scaring.
- Get rid of the free radicals that can damage your skin.
- Vitamin C skincare products can help you repair and prep your skin everyday.
- Exfoliates and cleanses.
- Boosts your immunity system.
- Improves sun damage on skin.
In other words, Vitamin C is kind of a big deal.
Vitamin C Skincare Products
Where can you find Vitamin C products? When I had a facial at Mario Badescu, a couple of years ago, one of the products used was their Vitamin C Serum, which stood out to me from the rest, and, in a word is fantastic. I highly recommend it!
Probably the best way to add in Vitamin C to your skin is through a serum (as you will see below; there are a lot on the market); although Vitamin C cleansers and body products are available too. Here are my picks of Vitamin C skincare products to check out:
1. Mario Badescu Vitamin C Serum (buy here): This powerful serum contains 7.5% Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) to reduce discoloration and brighten your skin. Also formulated to help retain your skin’s natural moisture and collagen for firmness and elasticity.
2. Korres Wild Rose + Vitamin C Advanced Brightening Sleeping Facial (buy here): This overnight “facial in a jar” addresses uneven skin tone and dark spots, while improving your skin to reveal a brighter, more luminous complexion.
3. Philosophy Turbo Booster C-Power (buy here): This is a daily topical vitamin C powder that suits all skin types. Featuring a 99.8% potency, this treatment protects the skin from free radical damage (one of the leading causes of premature aging). It also helps to lighten hyper pigmentation to reveal a even, radiant complexion.
4. The Body Shop Vitamin C Facial Cleansing Polish (buy here): This daily cleanser will leave your skin feeling smooth and fresh. The formula works to enhance your skin’s natural radiance and also gently cleanses and exfoliates – all in one simple step.
5. Peter Thomas Roth Camu Camu Power C X 30 Vitamin C Brightening Moisturizer (buy here): Featuring the potent super fruit camu camu berry (which contains 30 times the amount of Vitamin per ounce than an average orange), this does-it-all moisturizer promises to deeply moisturize, powerfully protect from aging, brightens your skin, improve collagen and fight free radical attack.
6. Murad Vitamin C Body Firming Cream (buy here): This ultra-rich body cream improves skin resiliency and tone – promising to increase body firmness by 20% within 10 minutes, and deeply moisturize at the same time.
7. John Masters Organics Vitamin C Anti-Aging Face Serum (buy here): Promises to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, crows feet and premature aging. This serum works hard to fight the affects of aging (especially those causes by UV rays) and also moisturizes.
8. Obagi C Rx System C-Therapy Night Cream (buy here): This night cream optimizes natural renewal cycle of the skin as you sleep. Help to reduce irregular melanosome activity and provides potent antioxidant with Vitamin C and E.
9. Dr Dennis Gross Hydra-Pur Vitamin C Brightening Serum (buy here): This powerful anti-aging serum contains Vitamin C to penetrate each layer of the skin to fight sun damage, increase skin luminosity and build collagen for firmer, youthful skin.
10. Skinceuticals CE Ferulic (buy here): Toted as a “super serum”, this “revolutionary antioxidant” does it all. Winning countless beauty awards, this serum delivers advanced protection again photo aging by neutralizing free radicals, boosting collagen production and providing stellar antioxidant protection.
Vitamin C-Rich food
As for consuming Vitamin C (you know what they say, it all starts within), fruits that have large amounts of Vitamin C are grapefruit, kiwis, oranges, strawberries, tomatoes and watermelons.
What do you think? Would you incorporate Vitamin C into your health and skincare regimens? And if you do already, I’d love to hear! :)