I don’t know much about Alexa Chung, except she is part Chinese (which must mean we must be long-lost sisters, obviously), she has the coolest British accent and she has amazing style. (Oh yes, and the obvious: she’s gorgeous.)
I’d also been reading everywhere that she’s the latest ‘It’ girl and a VJ on MTV; and after seeing countless photos of her AMAZING style (I love her hair too), I decided to cyber stalk her and see what her makeup, hair and beauty secret and tips are. Here’s what I found.
Alexa is blessed with great skin, and she told FabSugar recently that she really doesn’t do much to it. “I don’t wear much makeup,” she said. “I literally never get spots. Literally. I’ve had them about one time in my life. I’m just saying, it has nothing to do with products. That’s all crap. I drink water and I have good genes. I do use Declèor. They have an oil that’s really nice because I have really dry skin actually.”
It’s very simple getting hair like Alexa. First, cut it off! Then, go to a salon and ask them to dye the ends at least 3 shades lighter than your natural color. “[At the salon,] I had to ask for ‘frosted tips,’ a phrase that should never be uttered by anyone the least bit embarrassed by their own vanity,” Alexa said. Take note! Better yet, bring photo of exactly what you want and don’t want, because we all know that in salons visuals are better than words.
The basis of Alexa’s hair is this: chin length, center-part, brown hair with blended-in blonde highlighted tips. To get hair like that at home, you’d need a highlighting hair-kit and apply the hair color sparingly from your ears down to your tips. Use a hair comb and randomly take sections of your hair and start applying the hair color anywhere from the ear downwards, or chin downwards. Mix it up at different lengths to it doesn’t look like two blocks of solid color, rather; let the hair color blend in with the brown.
Styling-wise, you can apply a bit of volumizing mousse to your crown area for a little lift and a texturizer (or salt spray) for that slightly ruffled, bed-head look.
Alexa seems to love a good winged eyeliner and has a constant makeup look, with the exception of smokey eyes now and again.
To get Alexa’s makeup look;
- Define your brows with a brow pencil. Alexa has strong statement brows.
- Apply dark Brown or black eyeshadow lined all around your eyes. Smudge slightly with a Q-tip.
- Apply black liquid liner on the top lash line, extending it out a bit to create a winged look.
- Apply tons of mascara on the top lash line, ignore the bottom lash line.
- Add a soft brush of peach/rose blusher.
- Finish with nude pink lips.
Her favorite products she uses, according to Marie Claire, are Chanel Rouge Allure Lipstick in Naive, Chanel Quadra Eye Shadow in Mystic Eyes, Essie Nail Polish in Greenport and Shu Uemura Tasai Styling Cream for her hair.
ELLE magazine also did a page of what’s in her makeup bag. Here are some of her favorites:
Alexa also recently gave an interview to the Telegraph’s Fashion Blog, where she talked about her favorite products:
- Lucas’ Papaw Ointment (buy here): “My lips are constantly dry, so I never go anywhere without a good balm. This is by far the best – believe me, I’ve tried them all.”
- Givenchy Mister Light Corrective Pen (buy here): “I don’t wear much make-up, so I just dab a spot of this under my eyes and around my nose and I’m good to go. I also mix it with lip colours when I want to make them paler.”
- Chanel Liquid Eyeliner (buy here): “The only make-up technique I’ve managed to master is the 1960s eyeliner flick, and this is the best liner I’ve tried. It’s a great size to keep in your bag for evening touch-ups, too.”
- Weleda Baby Calendula Face Cream (buy here): “I think this is meant for babies but I love using it on my skin as it’s such a great moisturiser. To make my skin glow after I’ve done my make-up, I rub this between my palms and lay them on my face for a few seconds.”
Want even more? Check out Alexa Chung Beauty Talk With Company Magazine.
What do you think about MTV’s latest VJ and her insanely wonderful style? Are you in love with her as much as I am?!